Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

Weekly Update: October 5, 2014


Good morning, friends! I'm sitting here on a chilly morning (36 degrees now) with a mug of black coffee reflecting on the pleasure of reading a really good book. On my way home Friday, I stopped at the library to pick up a copy of Florence Gordon by Brian Morton. The novel was just released a couple of weeks ago and, from my perspective, has flown totally under the radar. Had anyone mentioned it prior to Shannon's review? Maybe I missed it, but her thoughts had me clicking over to my library's website to request a copy. It was still on the new books display, but I was quick enough to be first on the hold list.

I opened the book Friday evening and was in love after  the first page - which also happens to be the first chapter.
Florence Gordon was trying to write a memoir, but she had two strikes against her: she was old and she was an intellectual. And who on earth, she sometimes wondered, would want to read a book about an old intellectual? 
Maybe it was three strikes, because not only was she an intellectual, she was a feminist. Which meant that if she ever managed to finish this book, reviewers would inevitably dismiss it as "strident" and "shrill." 
If you're an old feminist, anything you say, by definition, is strident and shrill.
She closed her laptop.
Not much point, she thought.
But then she opened it up again.
I'd planned on setting it aside to watch the Syracuse University football game, but that didn't happen. The game turned out to be a disaster anyway. I'd planned on writing a cookbook review Saturday morning for Weekend Cooking, but that didn't happen either. Neither did my walk, the planting of a few more mums, or making butternut squash soup. Instead I move from sofa to chair, with coffee and then tea, until I'd read the entire book. A five star read with echoes of Olive Kitteridge .... it  was a perfect, rainy fall day.


I also finished Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty. It got a little iffy in the middle (too much like real life, perhaps?), but I ended up liking it a lot.

Listening//

Just under two hours left in The End of Your Life Book Club by Will Schwalbe. I'm finding this to be very inspiring and have added several books to my reading list.

On the blog//
Review - The Haunting of Hill House  by Shirley Jackson
Tuesday Intro - The End of Your Life Book Club  by Will Schwalbe

Up next//

I'll be starting Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury today. Way outside my comfort zone, but how can you pass up a readalong hosted by Ti and Sandy? Click on the button in my sidebar for details.

Watching//
Season 2 of The Paradise on Masterpiece. I missed the first episode last week, but will watch it this afternoon and be ready for episode two tonight.

Later today//
Sadly, only four months a year are guaranteed snow-free around here: June, July, August, and September. It's October, so it's time to winterize. We'll start the process today... the boat goes into storage and the docks will come out. This evening we are having dinner with my parents and sisters.

What are your plans for today?

This post will link to It's Monday, What Are You Reading?  hosted by Sheila at Book Journey.


Yorum Gönder

0 Yorumlar